Indigenous Relations Liaison
BC Ferries recognizes that we operate in the territory of over 80 First Nations who have cared for the land and waters up and down the coast of British Columbia since time immemorial.
Who We Are Looking For
We are seeking a new members of our team to help build and strengthen relations with the Indigenous communities we serve. We are looking for individuals who are knowledgeable about coastal First Nations and who have a personal connection to and respect for the history, traditions and cultures of British Columbia’s Indigenous peoples.
Working with Chiefs, Councils and Indigenous community members to explore and support the interests and needs of Nations will be the primary role of our Indigenous Relations Liaison. Our Indigenous Relations Liaison will be responsible for:
- Acting as the first point of contact for First Nation communities and will be responsible for establishing, nurturing, and maintaining these relationships on behalf of the organization, and in an Indigenous-led way
- Proactively meeting and corresponding regularly by email and telephone with First Nation communities to establish relationships, identify areas of mutual interest and opportunity, address concerns and considerations, and build strong connections between BC Ferries and the Indigenous communities we serve
- Travelling regularly to meet with First Nation communities up and down the coast of BC.
- Tracking and reporting on outcomes of meeting with First Nation communities, including identifying potential risks, opportunities, and areas of interest
- Updating guiding documents that support Project Managers in working effectively with First Nation communities
- Acting as key advisor to the Indigenous Relations manager to help guide the development of formal consultation plans, corporate policies, and other Indigenous relations strategies that best assist and support First Nation communities
- Sharing knowledge, and providing advice and guidance to other departments within BC Ferries to support engagement activities
- Supporting the development of cultural awareness and capacity building within the organization
We are looking for team members who have experience building, strengthening, and managing relationships with British Columbia’s coastal First Nations communities, including:
- A degree in a related field
- Five years’ experience managing relationships with or on behalf of Indigenous communities
- Experience building cultural awareness, understanding and capacity within an organization
- Knowledge of guiding documents such as the United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples Act (DRIPA) etc.
- Knowledge of constitutional and statutory consultation requirements with respect to Indigenous Peoples
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and project management skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Professional writing skills, including drafting, editing, and finalizing documents like reports, briefs, and meeting notes.
- Ability to work collaboratively and in a team
- Must possess a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License
- Must be able to travel frequently (at least once a month) to support meetings and events within First Nations communities
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one document at https://careers-bcferries.icims.com/jobs/3059/indigenous-relations-liaison/job
Applicants should be based in Victoria or Nanaimo.
For best consideration, please apply by Friday, March 24, 2023. We are hoping to fill this position by April 30, 2023 but our commitment to finding the right candidate may require more time.